Walking, walking and more walking

Don't ignore the benefits of walking

I've always enjoyed running, and since my younger years I have made a point of getting out for a jog a few times a week.

However, for the last few months I've been plagued with nagging injuries to my knees or my Achilles tendon, so have not been able to run in my usual way. 

It's been quite frustrating. 

However, I have discovered the benefits of walking, and it has become something I look forward to, in a way that I would never have imagined!

It's great for clearing my mind after a heavily charged day, and it is also a good way to start the day too. Although I live in a city I still take pleasure out of walking around my local park. That oasis of calm, strolling among the trees definitely gives me a feeling of wellbeing. 

What I have also found is that walking uses slightly different muscle groups in my leg from those when running, and that helps to develop them for when I do eventually get back into running. 

Quite a lot of sports injuries originate from a muscle imbalance, so developing those muscles that don't normally get used much can only be a good thing for when re-establishing muscle balance.

Typically I walk around two miles - about half an hour - in my local area. Then on a weekend, I travel further a-field to the suburbs of London and walk along trails in Kent or Surrey. When the days are longer I look forward to getting up to a few of the National Parks like the Lake District or the Peak District and doing some hill walking.

So even though running has been off the menu for a little while, I have found a "consolation" activity I can get involved in and still feel good and stay healthy.


Health benefits of walking

According to the Mayo Clinic, a daily brisk walk has the following can have the following benefits:

  • Maintain a healthy weight and lose body fat

  • Prevent or manage various conditions, including heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, cancer and type 2 diabetes

  • Improve cardiovascular fitness

  • Strengthen your bones and muscles

  • Improve muscle endurance

  • Increase energy levels

  • Improve your mood, cognition, memory and sleep

  • Improve your balance and coordination

  • Strengthen immune system

  • Reduce stress and tension








Comments